Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Psalm 11

[Updated Nov 20] Psalm 11 foreshadows hell where the fire is not quenched and the worm does not die. With slightly over half the psalms in my structural map, I am wondering how to complete the process. Of course it is moot whether I have found significant or supportable connections in theme and verbal content.

Next along the route, I will review the remaining psalms and see how they fit the current frame. Psalm 11 in my first rough cuts I labeled 'test' - the same as the label for Psalm 7. Then as I look at Psalm 11 I see it is strongly related to Psalm 1 - why I ask? - there is no Torah in Psalm 11 and 7 and 11 share a hellish description. Then I see the connection to Psalm 1 - it is through the wicked. The pattern (histogram) for wicked is here and shows Psalms 1-7-11 so connected and 37 as the pinnacle of usage - with several other mentions through the Psalter including 119 and 149. So the map is adjusted to include psalm 11 and a grey line connecting these psalms. Surely God is very interested in the wicked!

For the leader
of David
In יְהוָה is my refuge
How will you say to my life
flee to your mountain, bird
For consider: the wicked bend a bow
They make ready their arrows on the string
to shoot in the darkness at the upright of heart
For the foundations are destroyed
what will the righteous one do?
יְהוָה is in his holy temple
יְהוָה in the heavens his throne
his eyes see
his eyelids will test the children of dust
יְהוָה will test the righteous
but his life hates the wicked and lover of violence
He will rain on the wicked burning fire and pitch and rushing wind
raging heat is the portion of their offering
for the righteous יְהוָה loves righteousness
his faces see the upright

The wicked is not a simple problem - an us versus them problem. While our refuge is in יְהוָה, the destruction of the wicked cannot help but affect us. If indeed the foundations are destroyed - what will the righteous do? He - that one who is incarnate for us, will by his work in his flesh reestablish the foundations. He it is who absorbs the fires let loose by the destroyers of life. Only then would it possible to call creation good. Without redemption, such goodness is not. We might as well eat and drink and be merry, eh? or confuse the serious with joy.

No comments: