Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Psalm 119 - Part 10 Grammar

With this post I have caught up with my letter by letter reading of Ruth.  (You will find them here  א ב ג ד ה ו ז ח ט י ) So I will return to that effort and keep the blogs in sync as far as possible.
Your hands have made me and established me
give me understanding and I will teach your commandments
יָדֶיךָ עָשׂוּנִי וַיְכוֹנְנוּנִי
הֲבִינֵנִי וְאֶלְמְדָה מִצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ

Yes - those fearing you will see me and will be glad
for I have hoped in your word
יְרֵאֶיךָ יִרְאוּנִי וְיִשְׂמָחוּ
כִּי לִדְבָרְךָ יִחָלְתִּי

Yet I know יְהוָה that your judgments are righteous
and faithfully you afflicted me
יָדַעְתִּי יְהוָה כִּי צֶדֶק מִשְׁפָּטֶיךָ
וֶאֱמוּנָה עִנִּיתָנִי

You will let, I pray, your steadfast mercy comfort me
by your promise to your servant
יְהִי נָא חַסְדְּךָ לְנַחֲמֵנִי
כְּאִמְרָתְךָ לְעַבְדֶּךָ
You will let them come to me in your tender love and I will live
for your teaching is my delight
יְבֹאוּנִי רַחֲמֶיךָ וְאֶחְיֶה
כִּי תוֹרָתְךָ שַׁעֲשֻׁעָי
Yon proud will be shamed for the deceit they dealt me
for myself, I will meditate on your precepts
יֵבֹשׁוּ זֵדִים כִּי שֶׁקֶר עִוְּתוּנִי
אֲנִי אָשִׂיחַ בְּפִקּוּדֶיךָ
You will let those who fear you turn to me
and those knowing your testimonies
יָשׁוּבוּ לִי יְרֵאֶיךָ
וְיֹדְעֵי עֵדֹתֶיךָ
Yea - let my heart be complete in your statutes
so I will not be ashamed
יְהִי לִבִּי תָמִים בְּחֻקֶּיךָ
לְמַעַן לֹא אֵבוֹשׁ
John Donne takes the opening of one of his holy sonnets from this part. I have revised all the prior parts to rework the line structure. I am thinking that all this manipulation of the cloth must teach me something but I have not yet expressed it. One thing I already knew - that I make lots of mistakes! I have corrected a few of them in this pass.

Details
yadeyka
יָדֶיךָ
Your hands
plural noun with second person singular possessive pronoun
`asvuny
עָשׂוּנִי
have made me
perfect third person plural with first person singular pronoun object
vàykvonnvuny
וַיְכוֹנְנוּנִי
and established me
conjunction+perfect third person plural with first person singular pronoun object
habynény
הֲבִינֵנִי
give me understanding
hiphil imperative with first person singular pronoun object
v)elmdah
וְאֶלְמְדָה
and I will teach
conjunction+first person singular imperfect
micvoteyka
מִצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
your commandments
plural noun with second person singular possessive pronoun
yré)eyka
יְרֵאֶיךָ
Yes - those fearing you
it's not a participle but it feels like one with second person singular possessive pronoun
yir)vuny
יִרְאוּנִי
will see me
imperfect third person plural with first person singular pronoun object
vyismaxvu
וְיִשְׂמָחוּ
and will be glad
conjunction + imperfect third person plural with first person singular pronoun object
ky
כִּי
for
conjunction
lidbarka
לִדְבָרְךָ
in your word
preposition+singular noun+singular second person possessive pronoun
yixalty
יִחָלְתִּי
I have hoped
perfect first person
yadà`ty
יָדַעְתִּי
Yet I knew
perfect first person
yy ky cedeq
יְהוָה כִּי צֶדֶק
O LORD that righteous
proper name + conjunction (not acting as causative) introducing clause with elided copula
mishpa+eyka
מִשְׁפָּטֶיךָ
are your judgments
plural noun with second person singular possessive pronoun
ve)emvunah
וֶאֱמוּנָה
and in faithfulness
conjunction with noun
`inytany
עִנִּיתָנִי
you afflicted me
perfect second person singular with first person singular pronoun object
yhy na)
יְהִי נָא
You will let I pray
jussive
xàsdka
חַסְדְּךָ
your steadfast mercy
singular noun with possessive second person pronoun
lnàxamény
לְנַחֲמֵנִי
strengthen me
preposition+infinitive+singular first person pronoun as object
k)imratka
כְּאִמְרָתְךָ
by your promise
preposition+singular noun+singular second person possessive pronoun
l`àbdeka
לְעַבְדֶּךָ
to your servant
preposition+singular noun+singular second person possessive pronoun
ybo)vuny
יְבֹאוּנִי
you will let them come to me in
jussive - third person plural imperative with singular first person pronoun as object - that's me
ràxameyka
רַחֲמֶיךָ
your tender love
singular noun+singular second person possessive pronoun
v)exyeh
וְאֶחְיֶה
and I will live
conjunction + first person imperative
ky tvoratka
כִּי תוֹרָתְךָ
for your instruction
conjunction + singular noun+singular second person possessive pronoun
shà`ashu`ay
שַׁעֲשֻׁעָי
is my delight
singular noun with singular first person pronoun
yéboshvu
יֵבֹשׁוּ
let them be shamed
jussive
zédym ky sheqr
זֵדִים כִּי שֶׁקֶר
the proud for the deceit
plural noun subject of prior verb + reason!
`ivutvuny
עִוְּתוּנִי
they dealt me
third person perfect with singular first person pronoun as object
)any
אֲנִי
I
stand-alone pronoun
)asyàx
אָשִׂיחַ
will meditate
first person imperfect
bpiqvudeyka
בְּפִקּוּדֶיךָ
your precepts
plural noun with second person singular possessive pronoun
yashvubvu
יָשׁוּבוּ
You will let turn
jussive - again third person plural imperative - equivalent form to imperfect
ly
לִי
to me
preposition+singular first person pronoun
yré)eyka
יְרֵאֶיךָ
those who fear you
envelope with above
vyod`éy
וְיֹדְעֵי
and knowing
preposition and this is a participle
`édoteyka
עֵדֹתֶיךָ
your testimonies
plural noun with second person singular possessive pronoun
yhy liby
יְהִי לִבִּי
let my heart be
jussive+singular noun+singular first person possessive pronoun
tamym
תָמִים
complete
adjective
bxuqeyka
בְּחֻקֶּיךָ
in your statutes
preposition+plural noun with second person singular possessive pronoun
lmà`àn
לְמַעַן
so
conjunction
lo) )ébvosh
לֹא אֵבוֹשׁ
I will not be ashamed
negative particle + first person imperfect

No comments: