Thursday, January 07, 2010

Psalm 119 - Part 3 Grammar

Part 3.
Gimel - there's a little more on Gimel here. I am working my way through the letters, and through Ruth, and now through this psalm - out of the mouth of two or three witnesses... Clearly every verse must begin with G.
Grow your servant
and I will live and keep your word
גְּמֹל עַל עַבְדְּךָ
אֶחְיֶה וְאֶשְׁמְרָה דְבָרֶךָ
Give sight to my eyes
I will see wonders in your teaching
גַּל עֵינַי
  וְאַבִּיטָה נִפְלָאוֹת מִתּוֹרָתֶךָ
Guest I am on the earth
do not hide from me your commandments
גֵּר אָנֹכִי בָאָרֶץ
אַל תַּסְתֵּר מִמֶּנִּי מִצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
Ground down is my being
for longing for your judgments at all times
גָּרְסָה נַפְשִׁי לְתַאֲבָה
  אֶל מִשְׁפָּטֶיךָ בְכָל עֵת
Giving rebuke you have to the cursed the presumptuous
those erring from your commandments
גָּעַרְתָּ זֵדִים אֲרוּרִים
  הַשֹּׁגִים מִמִּצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
Get from me ignominy and contempt
for I have observed your testimonies
גַּל מֵעָלַי חֶרְפָּה וָבוּז
כִּי עֵדֹתֶיךָ נָצָרְתִּי
Great princes sat - against me they spoke
your servant will meditate on your statutes
גַּם יָשְׁבוּ שָׂרִים בִּי
נִדְבָּרוּ עַבְדְּךָ יָשִׂיחַ בְּחֻקֶּיךָ
Grand are your testimonies
the delights of my human counsel
גַּם עֵדֹתֶיךָ
שַׁעֲשֻׁעָי אַנְשֵׁי עֲצָתִי

Mark the letters that represent the grammar.
gmol
גְּמֹל
Ripen/deal fully/requite
imperative; this verb can mean recompense and as in English would use a preposition following before the object
`àl `àbdka
עַל עַבְדְּךָ
to/on/with// your servant
preposition with noun and possessive second person
)exyeh
אֶחְיֶה
I will live
first person imperfect of to live
v)eshmrah
וְאֶשְׁמְרָה
and keep
connector + first person imperfect
dbareka
דְבָרֶךָ
your word
noun and possessive second person
gàl `éynày
גַּל עֵינַי
Give sight to my eyes
imperative, piel!
v)àby+ah
וְאַבִּיטָה
I will see
connector - and/so and first person imperfect
nipla)vot
נִפְלָאוֹת
wonders
plural niphal participle
mitvorateka
מִתּוֹרָתֶךָ
in your law
preposition with noun and possessive second person
gér
גֵּר
stranger
noun
)anoky
אָנֹכִי
am I
stand alone pronoun (except for 'we', the personal pronouns are all written with the set of 11 grammatical letters)
ba)arec
בָאָרֶץ
in the earth
preposition + noun
)àl tàstér
אַל תַּסְתֵּר
you will not hide
negative particle and hiphil imperfect
mimeny
מִמֶּנִּי
from me
preposition in long form + first person pronoun
micvoteyka
מִצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
your commandments
noun and possessive second person
garsah
גָּרְסָה
broken is
qal perfect third person feminine
nàpshy
נַפְשִׁי
my being
noun and possessive first person
ltà)abah
לְתַאֲבָה
for longing
preposition and a form of longing or love - not loathing
)el mishpa+eyka
אֶל מִשְׁפָּטֶיךָ
for your judgments
preposition with noun and possessive second person
bkal `ét
בְכָל עֵת
at all times
preposition+adjective+temporal noun
ga`àrta
גָּעַרְתָּ
Given rebuke you have
you have rebuked - perfect second person masculine
zédym
זֵדִים
the presumptuous
plural noun
)arvurym
אֲרוּרִים
cursed
plural passive participle
hàshogym
הַשֹּׁגִים
erring
plural active participle
mimicvoteyka
מִמִּצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
from your commandments
prefixed preposition with noun and possessive second person
gàl
גַּל
Get
Qal imperative of גלל
mé`alày
מֵעָלַי
from me
from+preposition+first person pronoun - note difference from above מִמֶּנִּי
xrpah
חֶרְפָּה
ignominy
noun - as are many, it is formed from a verb - this requires more observation... Again the use of the mem and taf and he in forming words is something to be considered.
vabvuz
וָבוּז
and contempt
connector and noun
ky
כִּי
for
conjunction
`édoteyka
עֵדֹתֶיךָ
your testimonies
noun and possessive second person
nacarty
נָצָרְתִּי
I have observed
first person perfect
gàm
גַּם
moreover
give me a 'g' word for this comparative conjunction
yashbvu
יָשְׁבוּ
sat
third person plural perfect
sarym
שָׂרִים
princes
plural noun
by
בִּי
against me
preposition and personal pronoun
nidbarvu
נִדְבָּרוּ
they spoke
niphal third person plural
`àbdka
עַבְדְּךָ
your servant
singular noun with possessive pronoun
yasyàx
יָשִׂיחַ
will meditate
third person imperfect
bxuqeyka
בְּחֻקֶּיךָ
on your statutes
preposition + plural noun and possessive pronoun
gàm `édoteyka
גַּם עֵדֹתֶיךָ
Even your testimonies
Conjunction with noun and possessive second person
shà`ashu`ay
שַׁעֲשֻׁעָי
the delights of
plural noun in construct
)ànshéy
אַנְשֵׁי
human
plural noun in construct
`acaty
עֲצָתִי
my counsel
singular noun and first person possessive pronoun
Here is my Sunday school lesson on this letter - nice cookies.

No comments: