Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Psalm 119 - Part 2 Grammar

Well here we are at part 2 - what new grammar will we find? What old grammar more quickly hear? Clearly the first letter of each verse in this part will be 'B'.
But how will a youth cleanse that path
to guard it according to your word?
בַּמֶּה יְזַכֶּה נַּעַר אֶת אָרְחוֹ
לִשְׁמֹר כִּדְבָרֶךָ
By all my heart I you have sought
do not let me stray from your commandments
בְּכָל לִבִּי דְרַשְׁתִּיךָ
אַל תַּשְׁגֵּנִי מִמִּצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
By my heart I have hid your promise
in order that I will not sin against you

בְּלִבִּי צָפַנְתִּי אִמְרָתֶךָ
לְמַעַן לֹא אֶחֱטָא לָךְ
Blessed are you יְהוָה
teach me your statutes
בָּרוּךְ אַתָּה יְהוָה
לַמְּדֵנִי חֻקֶּיךָ
By my lips I have declared
all the judgments of your mouth
בִּשְׂפָתַי סִפַּרְתִּי
כֹּל מִשְׁפְּטֵי פִיךָ
By the way of your testimonies
I have rejoiced more than all sufficiency
בְּדֶרֶךְ עֵדְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
שַׂשְׂתִּי כְּעַל כָּל הוֹן
By your precepts I will muse
and I will look to your paths
בְּפִקּוּדֶיךָ אָשִׂיחָה
  וְאַבִּיטָה אֹרְחֹתֶיךָ
By your statutes I will delight
nor will I forget your word
בְּחֻקֹּתֶיךָ אֶשְׁתַּעֲשָׁע
לֹא אֶשְׁכַּח דְּבָרֶךָ


Rashi - I take delight - i.e. I occupy myself - (compare Isaiah 17:7 and Exodus 5:9). The switch to first and second person from third person is noted in the colours in the English (reflecting the sounds in the Hebrew) - red for the 'I/my/plural' axis where the verb is perfect, orange for the first person imperfect and purple for the you/your axis.

The 8 main nouns that recur in the 176 verses of the psalm are these - bold indicates my preferred gloss for this poem

תורה [torah] law, teaching, instruction (23)
עדה [edah] testimony (23)
אמרה [imrah] word, promise (18)
פקּד [piqud] precept (21)
חק [xuq] statute (22)
מצוה [mitsvah] commandment (21)
משׁפּט[mishpat] judgment (23)
דבר [dabar] word, thing (22)

The transcription below is automated. ) is aleph, ` ayin, + tet. Some v's should disappear into the following vowel. The algorithm is upper-lower case and reversible (but it is unreadable in mixed case.) The grammar has a lot of repeated forms. Do you see a pattern? There is some strong assonance at the beginning of the second quatrain. The frequent repetition of the second person singular possessive alternates with the first person singular. An I-thou moment.
bàmeh
בַּמֶּה
but how
or by what means - wherewith
yzàkeh nà`àr
יְזַכֶּה נַּעַר
will cleanse a youth
first person imperfect masculine followed by the subject 'youth'. I have chosen a demonstrative pronoun since this part can be seen as referring back to the prior part.
)et )arxvo
אֶת אָרְחוֹ
his path
direct object marker, noun with third person masculine possessive suffix
lishmor
לִשְׁמֹר
to keep
the poet is fond of this word and the preposition with the infinitive
kidbareka
כִּדְבָרֶךָ
according to your word
enclitic kaf preposition (as, like) and second person possessive pronomial suffix
bkal liby
בְּכָל לִבִּי
by all my heart
The sudden switch to first person is common showing always how psalms are prayers even with third person 'asides'
dràshtyka
דְרַשְׁתִּיךָ
I have sought you
first person perfect with suffix marking as 'object' rather than a possessive.
)àl tàshgény
אַל תַּשְׁגֵּנִי
do not let me stray
imperative with object pronomial suffix
mimicvoteyka
מִמִּצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
from your commandments
preposition-plural noun-possessive
bliby
בְּלִבִּי
by my heart
preposition-singular noun-possessive
capànty
צָפַנְתִּי
I have hid
first person perfect singular
)imrateka
אִמְרָתֶךָ
your promise
singular noun with possessive - construct form
lmà`àn
לְמַעַן
in order that
conjunction
lo) )ex+a) lak
לֹא אֶחֱטָא לָךְ
I will not sin against you
negative particle - first person imperfect and preposition with pronoun as object
barvuk
בָּרוּךְ
Blessed
qal passive participle
)àtah
אַתָּה
are you
pronoun
yy
יְהוָה
LORD
Proper name
làmdény
לַמְּדֵנִי
teach me
imperative with pronoun as object
xuqeyka
חֻקֶּיךָ
your statutes
plural noun with possessive pronoun
bispatày
בִּשְׂפָתַי
by my lips
preposition-plural noun-possessive pronoun
sipàrty
סִפַּרְתִּי
I have declared
first person perfect
kol
כֹּל
all
adjective
mishp+éy pyka
מִשְׁפְּטֵי פִיךָ
the judgments of your mouth
plural noun (itself derived - see mem to come) with construct and singular noun with pronoun affix
bderek
בְּדֶרֶךְ
by a way of
preposition and singular noun
`édvoteyka
עֵדְו‍ֹתֶיךָ
your testimonies
plural noun and possessive pronoun
sàsty
שַׂשְׂתִּי
I have rejoiced
perfect first person
k`àl
כְּעַל
more than
preposition and conjunction
kal hvon
כָּל הוֹן
all sufficiency
adjective and moun
bpiqvudeyka
בְּפִקּוּדֶיךָ
by your precepts
preposition-plural noun-possessive pronoun
)asyxah
אָשִׂיחָה
I will muse
first person imperfect
v)àby+ah
וְאַבִּיטָה
and I will look to
conjunction and first person imperfect (not preterite)
)orxoteyka
אֹרְחֹתֶיךָ
your paths
plural noun and possessive pronoun
bxuqoteyka
בְּחֻקֹּתֶיךָ
by your statutes
preposition-plural noun-possessive pronoun
)eshtà`asha`
אֶשְׁתַּעֲשָׁע
I will delight
Ever heard of the hithpalpel? According to the BLB it occurs only 12 times in the Bible corpus.(Click/click/click for a definition.)I wonder if there are other explanations.
lo)
לֹא
Nor
negative particle
)eshkàx
אֶשְׁכַּח
will I forget
first person imperfect
dbareka
דְּבָרֶךָ
your word
singular noun with possessive pronoun

No comments: