Thursday, January 28, 2010

Psalm 119 - Part 11 Grammar

Kaf - reading the word backwards, I chose F for my first letter. OK? When the ancients copied the text, they were ever so careful. I copy and paste in so many ways words, letters, paragraphs, tables, and in various technologies some of which pretend to be able to distinguish their left from their right hands, and I am careful - but I sometimes misplace whole words. They slip between the splices of the html tags. If you see a missing word, it is probably not there :-)

Faints my being in your salvation
I have hoped in your word
כָּלְתָה לִתְשׁוּעָתְךָ נַפְשִׁי
 לִדְבָרְךָ יִחָלְתִּי
Faint my eyes for your promise
saying continually when will you comfort me
כָּלוּ עֵינַי לְאִמְרָתֶךָ
לֵאמֹר מָתַי תְּנַחֲמֵנִי
For I have become like a bottle holding vapor
I have not forgotten your statutes
כִּי הָיִיתִי כְּנֹאד בְּקִיטוֹר
חֻקֶּיךָ לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי
For how are the days of your servant
when will you do judgment against my persecutors
כַּמָּה יְמֵי עַבְדֶּךָ
מָתַי תַּעֲשֶׂה בְרֹדְפַי מִשְׁפָּט
For me those proud ones dig pits
that are not like your teaching
כָּרוּ לִי זֵדִים שִׁיחוֹת
אֲשֶׁר לֹא כְתוֹרָתֶךָ
Faithful are all your commandments
falsehood! they persecute me - help me
כָּל מִצְו‍ֹתֶיךָ אֱמוּנָה
שֶׁקֶר רְדָפוּנִי עָזְרֵנִי
For nearly they make me faint on the earth
but I myself do not forsake your precepts
כִּמְעַט כִּלּוּנִי בָאָרֶץ
וַאֲנִי לֹא עָזַבְתִּי פִקֻּדֶיךָ
For your loving kindness let me live
and I will keep the testimony of your mouth for ever
כְּחַסְדְּךָ חַיֵּנִי
וְאֶשְׁמְרָה עֵדוּת פִּיךָ
לְעוֹלָם
My details are less mechanical this time and more thoughtful - even defensive of my strange translation style. But I must keep up the grammatical grind - it is still surprising and it is possible to slip up!
kaltahכָּלְתָהFaintsAnticipating the role of taf in forming a bridge between awkward words and enclitics, the taf here introduces the third person feminine ending (agreeing with the subject 'my being/soul'). The ה is not part of the root כלה in this case but the third person feminine suffix.
litshvu`atkaלִתְשׁוּעָתְךָfor/in? your salvationin rather than for - prepositions are weird, stretchable, flexible and often ignored. What am I fainting for? Is the לִ to, of, in, on account of, or what? Is it possessed or desired? Do we know that? (to might work here and below)
nàpshyנַפְשִׁיmy beingsoul is a lovely word but it is not immaterial - it is the full bodily life of the poet/reader/you/me
lidbarkaלִדְבָרְךָIn your wordLook at that - there's that לִ and I seem to have made it ='in' again! Well = is too strong. Belonging might be better - which is why I like 'in' in these cases
yixaltyיִחָלְתִּיI have hoped
kalvuכָּלוּFaintthey faint - subject to follow
`éynàyעֵינַיmy eyesPlural? could you tell the difference between plural and singular when there is a first person possessive pronoun?
l)imratekaלְאִמְרָתֶךָfor your promisethe active taf again forming an easy to say link with the suffix
lé)morלֵאמֹרsaying continuallynot sure why I added continually! (true enough though - pestering is part of prayer)
matàyמָתַיwhenwhere does this word comprised all of grammatical letters come from? BDB says this is always of future time.
tnàxaményתְּנַחֲמֵנִיwill you comfort meintense prayer if one sometimes wonders if there is a future...
ky hayytyכִּי הָיִיתִיfor I have become likeso the situation of the poet is revealed
kno)dכְּנֹאדa bottlehere is a lovely use of the prefixed kaf as a maker of similes
bqy+vorבְּקִיטוֹרholding vapourit's hard to get away from the bottle in the smoke of the AV!
xuqeykaחֻקֶּיךָyour statutes
lo)לֹאnot
shakaxtyשָׁכָחְתִּיhave I forgottennot forgetting is an adequate defense
kàmahכַּמָּהfor how areI guess it is not surprising that our playful poet would use the prefix for some of these verses (three of eight)
yméy `àbdekaיְמֵי עַבְדֶּךָthe days of your servant
matàyמָתַיWhen
tà`asehתַּעֲשֶׂהwill you dodo is awkward but ...
brodpàyבְרֹדְפַיfor my persecutorsHere is a preposition that does not mean 'for' - usually 'in' - which might be good. For if judgment has been done 'in' the poet, then this would be praying for the same benefit (learned with difficulty) for the persecutor
mishpa+מִשְׁפָּטjudgment
karvu lyכָּרוּ לִיfor me they digfor? in the sense of the depression belongs to the poet
zédymזֵדִיםthose proud ones
shyxvotשִׁיחוֹתpitsIs it too much to think that the poet gets depressed in these thoughts
)asher lo)אֲשֶׁר לֹאthat are not
ktvoratekaכְתוֹרָתֶךָlike your instruction'like' is better than the English common 'of'
kal micvoteykaכָּל מִצְו‍ֹתֶיךָall your commandments
)emvunahאֱמוּנָהfaithful arelisted as a noun, used as an adjective
sheqrשֶׁקֶרfalsehoodthere is no 'in' here - in English I find prepositions creep in almost unconsciously
rdapvunyרְדָפוּנִיthey persecute methird person plural perfect with first person pronoun as direct object
`azrényעָזְרֵנִיhelp meimperative with first person pronoun as direct object
kim`à+כִּמְעַטfor scarcely
kilvunyכִּלּוּנִיthey make me faintthird person plural piel perfect with first person pronoun as direct object
ba)arecבָאָרֶץon the earththis could be in the earth
và)any lo) `azàbtyוַאֲנִי לֹא עָזַבְתִּיbut I, I do not leaveas in the prior part, the stand-alone pronoun is used
piqudeykaפִקֻּדֶיךָyour precepts
kxàsdkaכְּחַסְדְּךָfor your loving kindness
xàyényחַיֵּנִיlet me livemany uses of the pronoun as direct object
v)eshmrahוְאֶשְׁמְרָהand I will keep
`édvutעֵדוּתthe testimony oflooks like a plural but it's the real word itself
pykaפִּיךָyour mouth
l`volamלְעוֹלָםfor ever

No comments: