Saturday, December 27, 2008

Psalm 116

We love because he first loved us - I know you are not used to reading this psalm this way - but why not? Notice of course the ellipsis in the second line.

I love
for יְהוָה heard my voice
my supplication
for he inclined his ear to me
and in my days I will call

the cords of death surrounded me
and pains of Sheol found me
trouble and sorrow I find
so I call to the name of יְהוָה
I beseech you יְהוָה deliver my life

Gracious is יְהוָה and righteous
and our God is merciful
יְהוָה keeps the simple
I was brought low and he saves me

Return my being to your rest
for יְהוָה has matured you
for he delivered my life from death
my eyes from tears
my foot from expulsion
I will walk in the presence of יְהוָה
in the lands of the living

I believed so I spoke
I myself was greatly afflicted
I myself said in my fear
every human deceives

what will I return to יְהוָה for all his benefits to me?
the vessel of salvation I will bear
and on the name of יְהוָה I will call
my vows to יְהוָה I will complete
let it be before all his people

Precious in the eyes of יְהוָה is the death of those under his protection
I pray יְהוָה for I myself am your servant
I myself your servant and child of your faithfulness
you have loosed my bonds

to you I will offer the offering of thanksgiving
and on the name of יְהוָה I will call
my vows to יְהוָה I will complete
let it be before all his people
in the courts of the house of יְהוָה
in the centre of Jerusalem
Hallelu Yah

No comments: