Sunday, August 19, 2007

Applying the theoretical structures to Psalm 46

In my usual fashion of 'showing my bookwork', I am putting my questions and a fresh diagram on the blog.

I have tried to apply some of the structures. I am confused. [update: eureka} Are stress-units = syllables? [NO] Do some of the container structures co-incide in a small poem? [not relevant]

How useful are the a,b,c etc if the arrows or colours in a diagram show the concentric structures? I am showing all chiasms with arrows. No need for the x. Is enjambment only when a sentence stops in the middle of a line?

What does strophe correspond to? seems to be close to the traditional 'verse' [NO]. And line seems to be what Fokkleman calls a colon [NO].

How could one show a significant feature - like the 7 x Elohim in this poem - I have used colour - but does it need more. It is the real outer framework. God for us, YHWH of hosts with us. (You might almost call it a latticework - since I think there is both love and mighty warrior in this poem - both centres are of love. That's why I coloured them green - of still waters and green pastures.)

I have also suggested some translation changes - picky - but I want to avoid the English 'generic' definite article if there is no definite in Hebrew, at least where possible. I must admit Desist and stand have something going for them - but I wonder if there are additional possibilities - like Be still / exalt / lift up - is there a significance to the pronoun? Who speaks? The Captain of the Hosts?

Where are the strophes and do they follow the 2/3 rule? [update: please see later posts on the emerging understanding of these terms]

No comments: