Saturday, April 18, 2009

There's growth and history in these blogs

John Hobbins has a series of posts on Habakkuk, the latest one here. In it he refers to a post from 2 years ago on Selah by Christopher Heard. Note the comment and you will arrive at Duane's Abnormal Interests, another blog on the old languages with at least 2 years history. Blogs are new, so there isn't much history yet. And some blogs are written by learners like me rather than scholars, so they provide a history of a bootstrap rather than the meditation of experience. But hey- you can't have experience without starting somewhere. My first cut at Habakkuk from last January is here.

The problem with history is remembering! I am trying to remember why I translated Habakkuk - maybe because it is a psalm. What will beginning with poetry do to my experience with this tongue? - assuming I live long enough that it might be said of me that I am past my bootstrap (as opposed to past my best by date).

1 comment:

Duane Smith said...

Bob,

Re. "The problem with history is remembering!"

You and I are among the most mature (oldest) bloggers. Perhaps we should keep Mark Twain's reflections on his own maturing memory in mind.

"When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened." (Mark Twain's Autobiography).